POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Strange PC behaviour : Re: Strange PC behaviour Server Time
11 Oct 2024 03:18:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Strange PC behaviour
From: Eero Ahonen
Date: 13 Feb 2008 15:24:20
Message: <47b351f4$1@news.povray.org>
pan wrote:

> I like the 1000W ones :)
> The off thge shelf pcs are underpowered .. very likely will go
> bonkers after

My most powerful (2 of them) power supplys (on PC's, that is - we're not
counting Alpha/SGI -line here :p) are 300W both, without a single
problem. One is pushing my Opteron-based server with 6 harddisks and one
is pushing my Sempron-based workstation (or was - the mobo gave up).
Either computer shouldn't survive without 400+W (when listening to the
sale guys at stores) or without case fans (again, when listening to the
sale guys...). Even the ps power scale needed actually depends on the
user. AthlonXP with integrated graphics card and 1-2 HD's should be fine
with ok-conditioned 250W ps (my Opteron is worse electric drain than
AthlonXP and 300W is easily enough for
Opteron+G550+6HD+2optical+sound+nic+etc).

> Yeah - bump that minimum to 450W ...

... if you're going to upgrade your machine and think about gaming (some
beast-level 3D-GFX -card, that is) at the future. Low-energy
-electronics (especially processors) are spreading already.

--
Eero "Aero" Ahonen
   http://www.zbxt.net