POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : In a mesh(triangle to smooth_traingle) : Re: In a mesh(triangle to smooth_traingle) Server Time
5 Jul 2024 15:08:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: In a mesh(triangle to smooth_traingle)
From: stbenge
Date: 13 Feb 2008 14:28:10
Message: <47b344ca@news.povray.org>
here_I_am wrote:
> Hey everybody!
>
> I am in the middle of a project, where i have to do smooth shading from a scene
> file of 15000 triangles which have thge data as triangles rather that having in
> smooth_traingle.And since the number of triangles is very large I simple can't
> calculate vnormalize(vcross(v1-v2,v3-v2)) manually and implement to
> smooth_triangle for every triangle
>
> And I am not sure how to implement this thing with a function or something.
> SO plz help me out here.
>
> Thanks.

These guys mean well, but they go off on a slight tangent sometimes :)

You want something easy, right? I've got two solutions for you:

1) PoseRay
You can import a basic mesh (even POV format, evidently), add smoothing
to it, and export it to POV.
http://mysite.verizon.net/sfg0000/

2) POV-Sub
Download POV-Sub for POV-Ray version 3.6. You can apply smoothing to
your mesh directly in POV, without actually subdividing it.
http://www.cise.ufl.edu/~xwu/Pov-Sub/

Good luck!

Sam