POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : And today, C# : Re: And today, C# Server Time
11 Oct 2024 09:20:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: And today, C#
From: Warp
Date: 13 Feb 2008 08:47:36
Message: <47b2f4f7@news.povray.org>
Invisible <voi### [at] devnull> wrote:
> Tell me Warp, do you actually understand what "functional programming"
> means?

  A purely functional programming language doesn't have side-effects.
If I'm not mistaken, for example assignment produces a side-effect.
Even I/O causes side-effects.

  Thus a purely functional language is mostly impractical. Quoting
wikipedia:

"Purely functional programs have no side effects. This makes it easier
to reason about their behavior. However, almost no programmers bother
to write purely functional programs, since, by definition, a program
with no side effects (one that accepts no input, produces no output,
and interfaces with no external devices ) is formally equivalent to a
program that does nothing; typically, purity is used to enforce a
separation of concerns where one clearly-delineated section of the
program does impure operations like I/O, and calls pure functions and
libraries as needed to compute answers."

--
                                                          - Warp