POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Music selection : Re: Music selection Server Time
11 Oct 2024 07:11:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Music selection
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 12 Feb 2008 17:49:58
Message: <47b22296$1@news.povray.org>
On Tue, 12 Feb 2008 22:31:52 +0000, Stephen wrote:

> On 12 Feb 2008 17:17:29 -0500, Jim Henderson <nos### [at] nospamcom> wrote:
>

>>(Of course, he's back in CO Springs now, because it's near where his
>>kids go to school and he goes to all their home basketball games - it
>>probably helps that he's very successfully self-employed)
>
> That reminds me. My wife, who reads a lot of contemporary American
> fiction wants to know. Why and when did sport become so popular in
> America? By that I mean children's sport, going to watch your kids play
> baseball etc. There is little mention of it in earlier fiction. Little
> House on the Prairie hardly mentions sport at all. Not it seams that you
> are a bad parent if you don't join in. Of course this could be untrue. I
> remember when I was a kid very few parents and no women would go to
> watch a school soccer match.

I'm not really sure - I used to play softball, but I don't remember many
parents being there.  I'd have to say the popularity grew a lot in the
last 20 years or so based on my experiences.

I think part of it is frustration with professional sports; I know I hate
going to, say, a pro baseball game these days.  The players just play so
well there's no unpredictability in the game play-by-play.

Minor league games are a blast, though.  I assume it's similar for junior
leagues.

Jim