POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : And today, C# : Re: And today, C# Server Time
11 Oct 2024 07:13:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: And today, C#
From: Darren New
Date: 12 Feb 2008 17:30:50
Message: <47b21e1a$1@news.povray.org>
Orchid XP v7 wrote:
>> Me, I like the Common Lisp object system.
> Me, I dislike anything that says "Lisp" in it. :-S

You don't need to like LISP to appreciate the object system CLOS
provides. It really isn't much lisp-specific in concept.

> I gave up when the language libraries were so obviously stupid...

Well that too. I was just doing text in/out with it.

> That's a miracle. It's a pretty rare language...

I used Icon too, which is also a pretty cool language. :-)

> Didn't try it personally, no. But that's what the language spec says.

It has been an ongoing complaint that nobody actually implements the
hard parts of the language.

> Note that Eiffel Studio isn't the only implementation. There's Smart
> Eiffel (AKA Small Eiffel) that reguarly does quite well in the language
> shootout benchmarks... But either way, the libraries are very poor.

Unless you use Eiffel.NET.  *That* is the power of the .NET stuff, in my
view.

> [E.g., Eiffel provides strong generics support with a whole heap of
> infrastructure to support writing really generic code. So they designed
> one class for character I/O, and a completely unrelated one for binary
> I/O. GAH! >_< Why?!]

Meyers was really desiging a language for designing data structures in.
The data structure libraries are really nicely thought out. A shame the
*useful* stuff isn't there.

--
   Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
     On what day did God create the body thetans?