POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Music selection : Re: Music selection Server Time
11 Oct 2024 09:18:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Music selection
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 12 Feb 2008 17:21:35
Message: <47b21bef$1@news.povray.org>
On Tue, 12 Feb 2008 09:30:18 +0000, Phil Cook wrote:

>> Yep.  I always have figured that I deserve the type of job I am willing
>> to work for.  I'm not entitled to any kind of job.
>
> Course you are; it's against your human rights not to be offered the job
> you deserve :-P

See, that's the part I keep forgetting.  Guess I'll have to go on being
successful in my own right. ;-)

>> That's one of the problems in society these days - a lot of people feel
>> they are entitled to things they need to be working for.
>
> To an extent I blame the cult of celebrity, anyone can become a 'star'
> today so why bother to work hard when tomorrow some bigshot producer may
> spot your music video on youtube? Combine that with a social security
> system that can work out to be paying you more then a full-time job and
> then mix-in the confusion between want and need; oh it's all good fun.

True, I know lots of people who do something "on the side" - have done so
myself once or twice.  Current employer prohibits it if it has anything
to do with work (which for me is a lot of the things I do "for fun"), so
I can't for a lot of things that I otherwise would, but I'm well-enough
compensated that I don't need to do the work "on the side".

>> Yeah; at the same time that I'm hearing about Citi dropping people's
>> credit limits, they've bumped mine up yet again.  They are *really*
>> going to be surprised when the tax refund shows up in a couple of weeks
>> and we pay most of it off.
>
> 'Thank you for paying off all the money you owe us. As a reward we're
> dropping your credit limit so you can't borrow so much from us'

I'm half expecting that to happen.  Doesn't really bother me, though
after paying the vet bills today, it might a bit more.

>> did when I was talking with her last week - Ah, yes, "First Bank"); I
>> suggested that at the least, she might pick a branch closer to her new
>> place, and she's going to think about it.
>
> Sod love, inertia's the most powerful human motivation :-)

I think it's ambivalence. :-)

Jim