POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : And today, C# : Re: And today, C# Server Time
11 Oct 2024 03:17:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: And today, C#
From: nemesis
Date: 12 Feb 2008 12:22:10
Message: <47b1d5c2@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:
> Here's the part I can't figure out. M$ basically exists to steal other
> people's ideas, pass them off as "new" and "original", and con people
> out of huge sums of money for it. So... why is M$ even interested in
> something geniunely advanced and revolutionary?

to take the glory too.

> Yeah, looking at the Wikipedia page for C# I see they've stolen a whole
> crapload of good ideas from Haskell.

in fact, that Erik Meijer guy is overly provocative and even gone as far
as saying functional programming for the masses is really Visual Basic!
http://lambda-the-ultimate.org/node/1406

> Oh, sure. It has compilation, strong typing, compile-time error
> checking, pervasive optimisation techniques, and an elegant underlying
> algebra. Definitely a scripting language. :-P

read the PDF I linked to.  It's called "Functional programming with
bananas, lenses, envelopes and barbed wire".  Despite the title, it's
genuinelly interesting...