POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Question for SQLers out there : Re: Question for SQLers out there Server Time
11 Oct 2024 03:17:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Question for SQLers out there
From: Gail Shaw
Date: 12 Feb 2008 11:55:09
Message: <47b1cf6d@news.povray.org>
news:47b1c445@news.povray.org...
> Gail Shaw wrote:
>
> > The older outer join syntax doesn't work at all in SQL 2005. Dunno about
the
> > other DB engines.
> > (Does Oracle know what a join is yet?) <g>
>
> I should probably poke you for that. :-P
>
> Considering that I was playing with the different join types in an old
> version of Oracle 6 years ago when I was still at uni, I think we can
> safely say it knows about joins...

Last time I used Oracle, it don't know what the JOIN keyword was. Sure, it
could do joins, but in the where clause.

A very quick google tells me that INNER JOIN/LEFT OUTER JOIN/RIGHT OUTER
JOIN became available in oracle in version 9i
In versions previous to that, joins had to be done in the where clause and
outer joins were specified using the *= or =* syntax.

Ref:
(http://www.kingtraining.com/confdownloads/downloads/Oracle9iJoin_paper.pdf)