POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : My Experience with Visual C++ 2008 Express Edition : Re: My Experience with Visual C++ 2008 Express Edition Server Time
11 Oct 2024 07:14:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: My Experience with Visual C++ 2008 Express Edition
From: Warp
Date: 12 Feb 2008 11:43:47
Message: <47b1ccc1@news.povray.org>
stbenge <stb### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
> VC is no small
> download, not for those of us still struggling with dialup (I get 24Kpbs
> here :(...)

  Which is exactly why it sounds so stupid to immediately uninstall it
right after he had downloaded and tested it, and just because of such
a mundane reason.

  How about thinking of it like this: If the whatever-non-standard-library
he wanted to be included was included, the download would have been even
larger, and it's a library not everyone needs or wants. Now he can download
a smaller package, and then optionally download whatever additional libraries
he wants for it.

  Ditching the compiler because it doesn't come with some non-standard
library by default is like ditching a linux distro because it doesn't
come with all possible software by default. It doesn't make sense.
  What makes more sense in this example is that you download the small
distro, install it, and then you install whatever additional software
you need. This way you don't have to spend three days downloading a
package where half of the stuff is something you will never need.

--
                                                          - Warp