POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : And today, C# : Re: And today, C# Server Time
10 Oct 2024 21:13:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: And today, C#
From: Invisible
Date: 12 Feb 2008 11:26:03
Message: <47b1c89b$1@news.povray.org>
nemesis wrote:
> C# is a strange mix of Delphi's ideas and Java syntax and implementation.  The
> main designer and his team was bought by M$ from Borland where they worked on
> Delphi.  In fact, he was also Turbopascal implementer.

Mmm, I wonder if C# is any more object-oriented than TP 5.5? ;-)

> BTW, Orchid, you know some major Haskell designers and implementers work for M$,
> right?

*sigh* Yes.

Indeed, everything I mention M$ I get flamed for insulting people's
employer.

Here's the part I can't figure out. M$ basically exists to steal other
people's ideas, pass them off as "new" and "original", and con people
out of huge sums of money for it. So... why is M$ even interested in
something geniunely advanced and revolutionary?

> The thing is, many ideas of Haskell, like monadic
> IO are present in .NET nowadays in a builtin framework named LINK.

Yeah, looking at the Wikipedia page for C# I see they've stolen a whole
crapload of good ideas from Haskell. [No doubt in a few years everybody
will say how C# is the best programming language because of these
features. And Haskell still isn't the best. For the same reason.]

> the first paper is interesting, but Meijer is an idiosyncratic personality with
> strong opinions.  In his view, Haskell is just a scripting language... ;)

Oh, sure. It has compilation, strong typing, compile-time error
checking, pervasive optimisation techniques, and an elegant underlying
algebra. Definitely a scripting language. :-P

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/