POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : FLOSS Weekly episode is now posted. : Re: FLOSS Weekly episode is now posted. Server Time
31 Jul 2024 10:28:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: FLOSS Weekly episode is now posted.
From: Rune
Date: 11 Feb 2008 21:26:02
Message: <47b103ba$1@news.povray.org>
"gregjohn" wrote:
> Rune might get a kick out of the host's reaction to his holographic
> projector animation:
> "If you put this on youtube, he'd have a whole business."

I'm hearing the show now and heard that bit before I read your post. I was
very surprised when my animation was mentioned! And Chris even got the
explanation exactly right.

> But of course someone did repeat the slur, for which I'm probably the only
> one
> in the world who objects to, "Povray is a renderer, not a modeler."

I have to agree with Warp. POV-Ray is excellent for certain types of
procedural modelling, but calling it a modeller will be highly confusing to
most people. I love "modelling" with POV-Ray, and my recent Metal & Flowers
image is a good example of something that would have been much more
difficult and cumbersome for me to make in a GUI modeller, if not
impossible. But the most typical modelling task is modelling *characters*
and POV-Ray is awful at that. Sure you can make *something* - like I have
indeed tried myself earlier - but you have to make do with what's possible
in the program rather than what you can imagine in your head, and you can
definitely forget all about realism.

Anyway, great radio show! It was very interesting and cool to listen to. :)

Rune
--
http://runevision.com