POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The Daily WTF [again] : Re: The Daily WTF [again] Server Time
15 May 2024 17:08:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The Daily WTF [again]
From: Gail Shaw
Date: 11 Feb 2008 15:20:52
Message: <47b0ae24@news.povray.org>
news:47b0aa9f$1@news.povray.org...

> ...and *this* is why Micro$oft is allowed to exist. >_<

Any just about every other software company in existance. It's not unique to
MS. In fact, through dealings with MS's tech support anda  lot of vender's
tech support, I've found that the people at MS care more. Far too many
software venders have the attitude "You bought it, now its your problem"

There are a couple of exceptions (fog creek probably), but they are very
definitly a minority.

> Sure, users don't care about pretty code. I'm sure if you
> asked them though, they care rather a lot about *reliable* code...

They'll probably say they will, but offer, for the same price, a piece of
software with 10 features that's fairly reliable and a piece of software
with 4 features that's very reliable and see which they'll choose to buy.

I'll be you anything, 80%+ will go for the one with more features,
rationalising that it can do more.