POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The Daily WTF [again] : Re: The Daily WTF [again] Server Time
15 May 2024 03:33:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The Daily WTF [again]
From: Orchid XP v7
Date: 11 Feb 2008 13:20:59
Message: <47b0920b@news.povray.org>
Jeremy M. Praay wrote:
> Working where I do, I've found quite a few WTF's myself.
>
> In one of my recent favorites, the programmer had done a query like:
> SELECT * FROM CUSTOMERS
>
> Then he went through every single record (in a loop), until he found the
> record that matched the value he was looking for, or hit the end of the
> file.  Moreover, all he needed to return was the name.  Honestly, there is
> absolutely no excuse for code like that.

There was one *precisely* like that the other day... let me find it...

http://thedailywtf.com/Articles/Rutherford,-Price,-Atkinson,-Strickland,-and-Associates-Dentistry,-Inc.aspx

Read it and weep.

Seriously, the fundamental purpose for a database to *exist* is exactly
TO DO THIS STUFF FOR YOU! It's like using a knife and not realising you
can use it to cut things with... WTF?! >_<

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/