POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Music selection : Re: Music selection Server Time
11 Oct 2024 11:11:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Music selection
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 11 Feb 2008 00:46:49
Message: <47afe149@news.povray.org>
On Sun, 10 Feb 2008 14:53:43 +0000, Stephen wrote:

> On 8 Feb 2008 16:01:19 -0500, Jim Henderson <nos### [at] nospamcom> wrote:
>
>>Oh, I see what you mean.  You have to understand, though, that I worked
>>in a factory while in college assembling paint sprayers; there were
>>those who were content to just follow a set of instructions from 7-4
>>every day, and then leave the factory and live their lives; work was a
>>means to a living, rather than being their life.  There's a certain
>>appeal to that.
>
> There is at that. :)

Uh huh.  I think there's a scale on which people define themselves; at
one end is 100% based on your work achievements, and the other end is
100% based on personal life.  Most people are somewhere in between.

>>The danger with just going in and doing a job like that is that you can
>>be laid off, and if your skills are specialized (in that you do one set
>>of things day in and day out for, say, 15 years), that makes things
>>difficult when you try to find something else to do.
>
> Very true

It's a balancing act; some get it right, some don't.  The challenge is
finding the right balance for the individual, because it's different for
everyone.

>>> Maybe you weren't brought up in a region that was renowned for
>>> violence and religious bigotry. I was and it is taboo for a very good
>>> reason IMO. Although I understand others feel differently.:)
>>
>>I was raised Lutheran; make of that what you will. :-)  I'm *mostly*
>>non- religious these days, truth be told.
>
> I don't make much of it actually :) mainly because like you I am not
> religious.

Same here.  Well, on the first bit; obviously on the second bit. :-)

>>> It is not surprising to me that the "Old Religion" is not considered a
>>> religion by some.
>>
>>Same here.  Though arguably, Wicca itself is relatively new (founded in
>>the '50s), but based on far older traditions.
>>
> made a goode movie - The Wicca man :)

The Wicker Man, you mean. ;-)

>>> and the US armed forces holding weekly services for those who
>>
>>Who.....?  I think you forgot to finish a sentence here. <g>
>
> Oops! copy and paste error. Your text :)

Ah.

>>You'd better believe it.  He's now taking to schoolyard tactics and
>>really making himself look foolish in the process.
>
> You are winning :)

But of course. :-)

>>Wow, that's really something.  I think we're in (outside of our primary
>>mortgage - we have an equity line as well) about $70K, but *most* of
>>that is secured debt.  Only about $15K is unsecured credit card debt,
>>and the majority of that will be paid off in the next 90 days (tax
>>refund).
>
> Just over 10 years ago I got made redundant with a good package. Since
> then I've not had any major debts.

That's one thing that I wish had happened when I got let go some 15 years
ago from the job I was working; but I was so angry, I didn't even think
about asking for severance.  Had only been there 18 mos, though.

>>> It looks like its going to Hades in a wheelbarrow. :) But then I've
>>> been hearing that all my life. If you extrapolate that back there must
>>> have been a Golden Age :-)
>>
>>LOL; why did I just think of "The Pirate Planet"?
>
> I don't know. The idea goes back before Dr Who.

Well, yeah, but I think that might be the first time I ran across that
particular theme.

>>> I've decided to work until I die. :)
>>> But then I like my work. Thinking about it I just like working :)
>>
>>Same here; though oddly I'm here instead of doing the stuff I need to
>>just at the moment. :-)
>
> LOL

In some ways it is kinda an odd job, because the hours are "fixed" but
they're not fixed, if you know what I mean.

>>Same here.  My dad and I had a chat not long before he passed away a
>>couple years ago; he confided in me that if he had it to do again, he
>>would have been less loyal to his employer (not to say "disloyal" by any
>>means - he certainly was honourable and would have been regardless)
>>because it's not a reciprocated loyalty.  He worked for the same company
>>for decades only to have them pull the rug out from under the retirees.
>>Fortunately, dad kept *everything* about post-retirement benefits, so
>>they did get a payout in the end, but not without a big legal battle.
>
> Don't you love our lords and masters :)

Yeah, right up to the point they decide they don't need you.

>>> And as my old granny used to say. "What's for you, won't go past you."
>>
>>Your granny sounds like a wise woman.
>
> Well that is an attitude designed to keep people in their places, I
> feel.

Well, I don't know about that, at least not my reading from what you
wrote.  It sounds more a sort of fatalistic approach (not unlike my own
approach to life at that).  Whatever happens happens sort of thing.

>>> The brotherly thing to do, IMO. :)
>>> Keep us posted it sounds like it could be Pov-Con on a world tour. :)
>>
>>I will - it's always fun to meet online friends IRL.  Most of my
>>longtime online friends are here next month, and I have a get-together
>>at my place for them.  Wouldn't have it any other way. :-)
>>

> I think that I've only met one. That was Tom Melly who has drifted away
> from Pov.

I used to live not far from Dan Farmer, but sadly never did get an
opportunity to meet him IRL.

>>Well, just remember, we're all unique, just like everyone else. ;-)
>>

> Unless you're a clone :)

Ah, but at the point that the clone becomes sentient, then the clone's
experiences are going to be different from yours.  Think Will & Thomas
Riker. :-)

Jim