POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : I think I need more cores... : Re: I think I need more cores... Server Time
10 Oct 2024 21:13:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: I think I need more cores...
From: Nicolas Alvarez
Date: 10 Feb 2008 22:33:44
Message: <47afc218$1@news.povray.org>

> Since I'm still interested in contributing CPU power, if nothing else,
> to the IMP, is there a way to join your BOINC team?  (I tried the way
> your project page at http://impfarm.imp.org/boinc/ states, but it gave
> me an error.  I either need an invite code, or you need to accept public
> applications again).

The project started as Renderfarm@Home. Reached like 1000 users. But
after a few months I lost my free hosting (the friend who was hosting it
had to reduce his ISP plan). Then I sort of revived it on IMP server.
The plan was just testing it for a start, and then moving Renderfarm
database there, but it never happened (lack of time, motivation... busy
in *other* time wasters...). So currently it's in a state of having an
even more hackish backend than the original Renderfarm@Home, and with
less users.

Plan now is somehow merging both databases (if a user was on both
projects, his credits would get added, for example), but that's
something else I haven't got around to. I don't want to open account
creation and watch the user list grow again... The less users, the
easier it will be to merge (but I have to do it!).

Not to mention the big changes I'll have to do on my wrapper when POV
3.7 is out. More like a rewrite. I'm interested in many of the 3.7
changes, and multithreading isn't one of them! Mainly: the new state
file for resuming renders, and the cleaned-up internals that would make
my modifications less "invasive".

Lately I have been busy making a screensaver for PrimeGrid (another
BOINC project), and I may even get paid for it, so I try not to get too
distracted :)

PS. this became somewhat on-topic about POV, which is off-topic for
.off-topic. Should we move to povray.general?