POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : I think I need more cores... : Re: I think I need more cores... Server Time
10 Oct 2024 21:16:40 EDT (-0400)
  Re: I think I need more cores...
From: Nicolas Alvarez
Date: 10 Feb 2008 22:14:14
Message: <47afbd86$1@news.povray.org>
Re-posting. I'm not sure if it's only my ISP acting up. According to
internettrafficreport.com, South America has an speed index of 39!

 > Nicolas Alvarez wrote:

 >>> POV-Ray (5 instances, each rendering part of an animation)
 >>
 >>> I think I'm one of the few home users who could get some real use
out of an 8 core machine :)

 >> I have been rendering on these:
 >> http://impfarm.imp.org/boinc/show_host_detail.php?hostid=123
 >> http://impfarm.imp.org/boinc/show_host_detail.php?hostid=113
 >>
 >> Not mine.
 >
 > Hey, nice to see that the IMP is doing something still - the website
hasn't had much activity lately (though I haven't been reading the forums).

 > Is it possible yet for users to submit jobs, or do the jobs still
need to be manually added by an admin?

There is a web-based job submission script for the impfarm software, but
it wasn't too tested... I don't think anyone has sent any work on
impfarm for a year.

What I linked to is all my own stuff. It's technically independent from
the IMP farm (the one with the Perl client); just happens to be hosted
on IMP server. Job submission there is even worse. I manually run a
script on the server, via ssh.
And the script is kinda ugly. Coincidentally, I was *just* about to
rewrite to support dynamic tiling: changing the size of tiles to try
making them all take approximately the same time (to avoid 3-second
tiles with just the background and 1-hour tiles in the middle of glass
objects).