POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Simulating a *visible* laser beam : Re: Simulating a *visible* laser beam Server Time
31 Jul 2024 00:28:19 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Simulating a *visible* laser beam
From: Simon
Date: 10 Feb 2008 06:43:27
Message: <47aee35f$1@news.povray.org>
"Peter" wrote:
> I'm an Optics guy. I have a hard time getting a "visible" light beam from
> POVRay.
> I would like to generate a beam (e.g. spot light source) which can be visible
> and directed towards an object or lens.
>
> I have enabled photons mapping and stuff for the light source and objects, but
> the beam is only visible when it hits the object. It's not visible in air or
> the background.
>
> How can I simulate a laser beam? Can anybody point me to the right resources
> (tutorials, example pov files, etc...)?
>
> I would like to illustrate simple concepts like reflection, refractio,
> diffraction on lenses and some other optical objects. But I need to actually
> control the beam size and see it. I don't want a *virtual* light source. Thanks
> for any help.
>

> --
> Cheers,
> Peter "Excalibur"

Have a look at the "Optics.pov" scene. What you'll need is media which
the light can pass through (like dusty air), the light/laser will then
highlight the media, making it see "visible" just like IRL

You should get something like this :
http://www.soware.co.uk/POVRay/player.php?id=11

(but obviously without the jitter due to me animating the media at too
low a quality

Regards,

Simon