POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Micrsoft trying to buy Yahoo! : Re: Micrsoft trying to buy Yahoo! Server Time
11 Oct 2024 05:22:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Micrsoft trying to buy Yahoo!
From: Saul Luizaga
Date: 10 Feb 2008 03:47:06
Message: <47aeba0a@news.povray.org>
Gilles Tran wrote:

> 47ae138b@news.povray.org...
>> I know Google is the best thing on the Internet for what Google does,
>> (Internet and Office tools) but Yahoo! is good enough to stay on  The
>> Net, IMO.
>
> To make things clear: Google and Yahoo are *** advertising networks ***.
> This what they do for a living: sell advertising space and other marketing
> services. What they offer - search engines, image banks, email services,
> office apps etc. is just a sideshow, or to use marketroid speach, assets to
> be leveraged, that only exist to bring ads to your desktop.

Point taken. BUT some Google produts are free of ads and are useful so
your afirmation falls short here.

> Say what you want about Microsoft, it's still primarily a software company
> that creates and sells IT products.

Which are in many cases slower and sometimes so crappy. I've heard so
many times saying I'm not using this MS product because is too slow,
features are difficult to use, lacks of this and that, the GUI is a
mess, this product does better on this and that... This is why they're
are as pathetic as gigantic they are. Money doesn't mean necessarily
that you have the best product or you're the best at something, but MS
should since has all the resources it needs to accomplish that.

Many people buy MS just for the "compatibility" with Windows and because
they think MS is just great for some reason I can't understand. One
thing I can say about MS without fear of mistaken is that they excel in
mediocrity.

> Google and Yahoo only exist to make you
> buy noodles, porn and garden tools.

You fall short here too, they exist so that you don't spend countless
hours searching for some product on your own, they have made bullet
speed search engines and offer lots of resources to find the service you
  need, no matter how odd it may seem.

> Of course, MS would like a piece of that
> cake too,

they want a peace of everything so they can be mediocre on it.

  but think twice about saying that "Google is the best thing on the
> internet".
>
> G.

I frankly think it is, I don't have to think twice about it, and you
should read the whole sentence to realize what I meant, you missed :"...
best thing on the internet for what they do", not on everything possible
as you tried to show that I said that.