POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : CD collection : Re: CD collection Server Time
11 Oct 2024 11:13:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: CD collection
From: Kevin Wampler
Date: 10 Feb 2008 00:31:21
Message: <47ae8c29@news.povray.org>
Orchid XP v7 wrote:
> My favourite TMBG album has got to be Factory Showroom or Spines. As for
> other guys... if you haven't heard Tangerine Dream, give it a whirl. If
> you enjoy crazy synthesizer music, that is...

I have actually heard some Tangerine Dream, though I don't actually own
any of their music.  As I recall I enjoyed it, perhaps I'll take another
look.

> I have run into the name "Mogwai" several times though. I have no idea
> what that sounds like.

It's post rock, so the musical content tends to be built up by slowly
evolving repetitive patterns.  Sort of like Radiohead but more so, and
with a bit more emphasis on drums and less on voice.  They're good
though, and the repetitive nature makes it good music to work to.  If
that's a bit hard to picture, you can listen to some of their tracks here:

http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=1641

If you do like it, I'd also recommend Sigur Ros.

> Similarly, every time I go into a music shop I
> find myself wanting to by YES albums just to look at the pictures... no
> idea what the music sounds like.

Conveniently, the same site also has some tracks by Yes:

http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=105

I'd say that "Close to the Edge"  Is my favorite song listed there, if
you're only going to listen to one.

On a very related note, www.progarchives.com is a great site to find new
progressive rock artists, as it will generally include both reviews and
sample tracks for each band.  You could start at this page:

http://www.progarchives.com/Progressive-rock.asp

which should list the major bands from each subgenre and then go to the
pages for them to listen to some of their songs.  Also, this page is a
very good one to look at if you're interested:

http://www.progarchives.com/top-prog-albums.asp