POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : CD collection : Re: CD collection Server Time
11 Oct 2024 13:14:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: CD collection
From: Orchid XP v7
Date: 9 Feb 2008 15:46:42
Message: <47ae1132$1@news.povray.org>
Jim Henderson wrote:

> Interesting; I was going to say that I had never heard of a school doing
> that, but we were required to learn recorder, autoharp, and to sing in
> the choir.

I was *also* in the choir. You know, when we had one...

>> Um, OK. So it's *me* that's naff. :-|
>
> No, it just takes practice - years of practice - to get good sound out of
> an instrument (doesn't matter what).  I can make my violin make horrible
> sounds as well - it has to do with getting the right pressure and speed
> of the bow across the strings - too much pressure and not enough speed,
> and it sounds exactly like you described.
>
> There also is a factor of the instrument itself as well; each instrument
> has different tonal factors.

Yeah, well... It's an *old*, cheap school violin. So I had assumed it
was just naff. But like I said, the teacher had no trouble getting the
most beautiful notes out of it, so it can't have been that busted...

Random snippet: I remember when the school orchestra performed Ode To
Joy. (Don't ask me who wrote that.) Our teacher was very strict. She
could tell I was playing the tune rather than reading the music, so she
moved me from 1st violin to 3rd violin, because there is no way in hell
you could play that from memory.

Anyway, the piece starts off telling you to play very softly. And then
after a while it says play a little louder - but just a little. And then
it's like... forte. [OK, I give the bow a little more elbow.]

Double-forte. [OK. I press down a bit harder and really *work* those
strings.]

Triple-forte. [Uh... OK, let me bow a bit faster...]

QUADRUPLE-FORTE!! [Dude... what? This thing doesn't *go* any louder!!]

Still, with a couple of cellos and hons going - not to mention the music
teacher taking the bottom notes of the school piano a lively workout -
it sounded pretty damn good.

Fact: It's almost impossible to hold a violin comfortably while wearing
a school blazer with huge shoulder pads... >_<

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/