POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Reality : Re: Reality Server Time
11 Oct 2024 05:18:36 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Reality
From: Mueen Nawaz
Date: 9 Feb 2008 10:52:24
Message: <47adcc38$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
> Mueen Nawaz <m.n### [at] ieeeorg> wrote:
>> (has the
>> shift from using "humanity" instead of "mankind", or "businessperson"
>> instead of "businessman" damaged anything?)
>
>   The latter sounds to me like ridiculously PC hypercorrection. A totally
> abstract construct, not a natural developement of the language.

	It may not yet have overtaken businessman, but it's quite common here.
I doubt it raises any eyebrows.

	Same goes for layperson.

	Sure, no doubt it did seem that way when people started using it. A
generation or two later, it will be the norm. I can't seem to find any
argument against it other than "sounds weird".

	For the record (Merriam Webster):

businessman: a man who transacts business; especially : a business executive

--
Whose cruel idea was it for the word "Lisp" to have a "S" in it?

                   /  \/  \ u e e n     /  \/  a w a z
                                   anl