POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Reality : Re: Reality Server Time
11 Oct 2024 05:21:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Reality
From: Rune
Date: 9 Feb 2008 06:52:25
Message: <47ad93f9$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
> Rune wrote:
>> >  1) Use the established gender-neutral pronoun "he" which has been used
>> > in that role for a long time. Forget *why* it was chosen as the generic
>> > pronoun hundreds of years ago. That's not relevant today.
>
>> 4) Use either "he" or "she" as a gender-neutral pronoun; whichever one
>> you
>> prefer, as long as it is used consistently within the text.
>
>  What's the difference (except that "she" sound weird)?

Lots of people think there is a difference, otherwise we wouldn't be having
this discussion at all. Hence, there *is* a difference in how many people
relate to the words. Also, I don't think it sounds weird. Conversely, I
think the sentence below with "he" sounds very weird:

"Readers of women's magazines are not known to be very loyal. If a reader
finds that his favourite magazine have gotten pricier than it used to be, he
will often tend to buy a different one instead."

Although both men and women can read woman's magazines, the sentence come
across as very misleading when using "he", since it sounds like we are
talking about the minority that is the male readers.

Rune
--
http://runevision.com