POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Strange PC behaviour : Re: Strange PC behaviour Server Time
10 Oct 2024 21:15:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Strange PC behaviour
From: Orchid XP v7
Date: 9 Feb 2008 06:40:56
Message: <47ad9148$1@news.povray.org>
Nekar Xenos wrote:
> It all started with blackouts. No, it wasn't the power company. The PC would
> spontaneously reset itself.

Which OS?

By default, Windows XP doesn't display the Blue Screen of Death, it just
instantly reboots.

> It became more and more frequent. then it
> wouldn't start up again unless I unplugged the power cable.

I've seen that a few times. It's *usually* a motherboard fault. (Not
always.)

> Soon the PC
> started crashing while Windows was loading.. . and after that all I could
> get was CMOS. and then I couldn't even get the PC switched on.... After
> removing the CMOS battery for a couple of minutes I could switch on the PC
> again.

Yeah, sounds like a motherboard fault of some kind. Diagnosing exactly
what is going to be lots of fun...

> With Windows badly damaged I had to reformat the HDD and reinstall
> Windows a couple of times. Every time I install Windows it works fine for a
> while and then starts crashing untill I can't start the PC up anymore. Last
> night I tried installing Linux and it crashed with 20minutes of install
> remaining.

Have you tried running a memory test? There's a small possibility that
might be the cause - although I doubt it - but if it is, that's easier
to fix than replacing the whole motherboard.

> I can't afford a new PC at the moment at all, so is there anything I can do?

Replace the motherboard with something that's compatible with your
existing stuff - if you can find such a board...

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/