POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : FLOSS Weekly episode is now posted. : Re: FLOSS Weekly episode is now posted. Server Time
31 Jul 2024 08:25:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: FLOSS Weekly episode is now posted.
From: David Buck
Date: 9 Feb 2008 04:56:47
Message: <47ad78df$1@news.povray.org>
Nicolas Alvarez wrote:
> I liked how he thought "wait, how did you do THAT with MY program!?"

I've uploaded the picture of the sandwich to povray.binaries.images.
It's called snack.  At the time, DKBTrace managed textures for an entire
object and didn't allow you to say "for this part of a CSG difference,
use this texture".  This means that for the bread, it wasn't possible to
texture the crust separately from the flat side.  It all had to be the
same texture.  The same applies to the ham - it wasn't possible to get a
dark outside with a light inside.

Tom was just being creative.  He modeled two pieces of bread that
overlapped in space.  One was a bit flatter and longer and the other was
thicker and shorter.  The long flatter one had a dark color and appeared
as the crust.  The thicker shorter one had a light color and appeared as
the cut side of the bread.

different parts of a CSG so you can do it with a single object and apply
the textures differently for every CSG part.

David Buck