POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Reality : Re: Reality Server Time
11 Oct 2024 05:21:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Reality
From: Nicolas Alvarez
Date: 8 Feb 2008 16:44:19
Message: <47accd33$1@news.povray.org>

> 	I've seen "she" used frequently by people (some were women, and then I
> stopped bothering to check) in this regard. I don't know if it was
> naturally or with this in mind, but it didn't at all seem awkward except
> the first two times or so.

Gettext manual uses 'he' to refer to the programmer and 'she' to refer
to the translator, just so they can conveniently use pronouns instead of
repeating "the translator" over and over again. But they make it clear
it's not racism:

"In this manual, we use 'he' when speaking of the programmer or
maintainer, 'she' when speaking of the translator, and 'they' when
speaking of the installers or end users of the translated program. This
is only a convenience for clarifying the documentation. It is absolutely
not meant to imply that some roles are more appropriate to males or
females. Besides, as you might guess, GNU gettext is meant to be useful
for people using computers, whatever their sex, race, religion or
nationality!"