POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : CD collection : Re: CD collection Server Time
11 Oct 2024 13:16:08 EDT (-0400)
  Re: CD collection
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 8 Feb 2008 16:38:15
Message: <47accbc7@news.povray.org>
On Fri, 08 Feb 2008 21:15:30 +0000, Orchid XP v7 wrote:

>>> Predictably, I haven't heard of most of those.
>>
>> Most of them are classical composers.
>
> I do enjoy certain forms of orchestral music. However, from what I can
> tell, most classical music isn't really to my taste.

Entirely possible, though I think it helps to know the story behind the
music - a lot of it tells a story.  For example, Berlioz's _Symphonie
Fantastique_ tells a story about a guy who is in love but can't make it
work out.  He decides to take opium, and the music itself is inspired by
the idea of the opium-induced dreams he had as a result.

The fourth movement ends with him having his head cut off by a
guillotine.  If you know the story, you can actually hear his head bounce
down the steps after the blade falls.

Then you get into the 5th movement, which is him in the afterlife.  It
ain't pretty (and yet it is).

The really fun thing is listening to that on the local classical radio
station; it's run by Brigham Young University, a university of the LDS
Church.  It seems clear to me that the announcers really don't know the
story behind the music, or they'd never play it on the air.

>>> Wait - there's a person on Earth apart from me who listens to Enigma?
>>> Woah...
>>
>> My brother introduced me.  I quite like it, though I haven't listened
>> to it a lot.
>
> My best friend introduced me. Before she stopped talking to me...
>
> Every time I listen, I end up wanting to turn off the light, take a deep
> breath, and light candles. Actually, last time I *did* light candles...
> hmm. LOL!

Which album or albums do you have?

Jim