POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.animations : skeletal animation using POV-RAY : Re: skeletal animation using POV-RAY Server Time
14 Jun 2024 22:19:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: skeletal animation using POV-RAY
From: Chris B
Date: 7 Feb 2008 18:49:24
Message: <47ab9904$1@news.povray.org>
> Hey, do we have a library of 3D POV-RAY environments, so s/he can go
> hiking,
> mountaineering, walking in the moon, in the city?

Not all in one place.

A number of people put their scenes on their own web pages and there are
some impressive lanscapes and stuff. You might want to take a look through
some of the stuff in the links collection at
http://www.povray.org/resources/links/.

A few guys collaborated on a city generator last year which you should find
on the povray.binaries.scene-files newsgroup. I recall that Mike Williams
was one of the people working on that.

In POV-Stairs at http://www.geocities.com/povstairs/ there's the interior of
a sort of hotel/conference/exhibition centre (shown in the bottom right
illustration on the home page) that you could use for interior shots.

There was also a discussion about generating some standard country scenes to
add to the POV-Ray object collection at http://lib.povray.org. There's
nothing up there yet, but I've started working on a gulley with a river
flowing down the middle of it. It's possible that the guy who suggested it
is also working on that sort of generic background scene file.

Otherwise, it may be worth asking on povray.general if you want a particular
environment to play with.

> Thanks, scientific part might come from knowing which muscles to apply
> what
> transformations.  Did you have that intelligence.

I've looked at a lot of that sort of material but I've never built it into a
model.
Zeger Knaepen posted an animation in Jan 2006 with a very impressive upper
body muscle configuration. See
http://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.animations/thread/%3C43c6bed8%40news.povray.org%3E/?ttop=261005&toff=150

I'd recommend downloading and taking a look at the muscles2.m1v.mpg file
attached to that posting. I don't recall seeing any advance on that since
then though.

BTW, I also spotted my latest hair animations at
http://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.animations/thread/%3C457d2bfb%40news.povray.org%3E/?ttop=261005&toff=50
while I was looking up the muscle link (a little bit of self-promotion).

> I have an arts+science
> book that talks about which muscles in the face control which facial
> expression,
> really cool stuff.  Then the whole talking part, the musculature of mouth
> generating specific sounds.  Yet that is a separate field of study.  Oh
> boy,
> overwhelming.

Indeed. When you get to the face there's hundreds of muscles, so IMO
emulating that in any sort of an authentic way would be very complicated. My
thoughts on the animation of the face were to use sets of simple mesh
deformations and to morph between them to get intermediary expressions.

Regards,
Chris B.