POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : xkcd - It's a sad, sad thing : Re: xkcd - It's a sad, sad thing Server Time
11 Oct 2024 03:15:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: xkcd - It's a sad, sad thing
From: Mike Raiford
Date: 7 Feb 2008 14:32:36
Message: <47ab5cd4$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:

>> It's a monster that turns you to stone if you see its face. Like Medeusa.
>
>   I know. But I still don't get the *joke* in that strip.

AFAIK the joke was U+FDD0 is not a renderable character, according to
the Unicode spec, so, the eye of the basilisk is not visible, ergo no
one turns to stone, or dies. I still can't figure out why the basilisk's
use of a smiley emoticon would kill someone. I suppose it's because the
person is seeing an abstract form of the basilisk's face?

It didn't make me laugh, but it did make me curious about what U+FDD0
was, I figured it was one of the surrogating characters for use in UTF16.