POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : It's a riddle : Re: It's a riddle Server Time
11 Oct 2024 05:18:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: It's a riddle
From: Darren New
Date: 7 Feb 2008 12:12:23
Message: <47ab3bf7$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>   When I was in school they told us that in English "'s" should only be
> used with people, otherwise the "of" version should be used. For example,
> you shouldn't say "the house's window" but "the window of the house".

As a native speaker of American english, I will say I've never heard of
such a rule. Indeed, such a "window of the house" would make me think
you're a native French speaker speaking English or something.

>   OTOH, there are situations where it's clearly misused. For example,
> I have seen "not as scary as you two's faces", which sounds really awkward.
> I would say "not as scary as the faces of you two" would be much better.

Yeah, agreed. When it starts getting into complicated sentences, it's
better to use "of", especially when the words are common homophones. It
prevents the person from thinking you said "as you too's faces", which
is confusing.

--
   Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
     On what day did God create the body thetans?