POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Music selection : Re: Music selection Server Time
11 Oct 2024 15:20:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Music selection
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 6 Feb 2008 16:24:44
Message: <47aa259c@news.povray.org>
On Wed, 06 Feb 2008 21:19:23 +0000, Stephen wrote:

> On 6 Feb 2008 15:45:07 -0500, Jim Henderson <nos### [at] nospamcom> wrote:
>

>>I know what you mean.  While we haven't seen as deep a decline in
>>manufacturing over here, there has been a pretty steep decline anyways -
>>after all, look at all the toys painted with lead-based paints coming
>>out of China to the US....
>
> Well that's what happens with globalisation. Everything goes to the
> cheapest. B*gg*r the quality.  :(
> Remember the Tolpuddle Martyrs!

Heh, true enough.  But the other thing that *should* happen with
globalisation is that the expertise moves up - so as more rote jobs are
shipped overseas, the former workers have to learn new skills.

Nobody ever said that life was easy or that continued employment didn't
require the acquisition of new skills.  It's a sad reality for those who
don't adapt to the changing employment scene, but those who do tend to do
a lot better than those who don't.

My dad's generation stayed employed by one employer for most of their
lives (dad worked for Massey-Ferguson for something like 50 years before
he retired in '81).  Those days are pretty much long past (though I work
on a team with people who've been with the company for 15-20 years).
Most people also can expect to go through 3-5 total career changes these
days as well.  I'm on #3 myself - went from implementing/fixing
technology to teaching it to managing those who teach it.  I never
thought I'd move out of implementing.

Jim