POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Music selection : Re: Music selection Server Time
11 Oct 2024 17:45:49 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Music selection
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 6 Feb 2008 14:56:18
Message: <47aa10e2$1@news.povray.org>
On Wed, 06 Feb 2008 19:02:01 +0000, Orchid XP v7 wrote:

> Jim Henderson wrote:
>> On Wed, 06 Feb 2008 18:21:52 +0000, Orchid XP v7 wrote:
>>
>>> I did hear some guy who had is car stereo knicked. So he wanted to set
>>> up a laptop running Xine on Linux to act as a music player. He was
>>> asking how to wire a switch to the serial port and script it so he
>>> could change tracks.
>>
>> Over here you can get aftermarket removable stereos or with removable
>> faceplates (which takes the entire control interface off the radio).
>> The thing is, if you get one of those, you'd better *always* take it
>> with you.
>
> Yeah, I used to have one of those. It's a pitty is you forget to take
> the faceplace with you... no music. :-(

Yeah, that would be my problem.  I spend enough time in the morning
trying to remember to grab my access badge and office keys before I head
down to Provo.  But I've also determined that it sucks to get there and
then realise I can't get into the building (or my office) - because there
ain't no way I'm driving another 90 miles so I can open my door. :-)

> My mum has this currently. And never removes it. But then, this woman
> can't find her car keys in the morning, so...

>>> At this point, somebody said "dude, you just had your car stereo
>>> knicked, so you want to park a *laptop* on the passenger seat??"
>>
>> Hehehehehehehe
>
> Yeah. Literally, is plan was to take a knackered old laptop and park it
> on the passenger seat with a bunch of wires going into the speakers.

I'd believe that.  On longer trips, I've done this myself (back when I
had a USB-powered RF modulator that I could plug into the headphone jack
on my laptop).  One power inverter and I could run the laptop as long as
the car had power.  But I'd just use RF to get it to the stereo, rather
than wires.

A lot of the newer radios I've seen in rental cars have an aux-in jack on
the front now.  I wish mine did (I'm too cheap to put in an aftermarket
radio these days).

Jim