POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.animations : skeletal animation using POV-RAY : Re: skeletal animation using POV-RAY Server Time
17 May 2024 04:05:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: skeletal animation using POV-RAY
From: Chris B
Date: 6 Feb 2008 13:34:51
Message: <47a9fdcb@news.povray.org>
"melo" <mel### [at] coxnet> wrote in message
> "Chris B" <nom### [at] nomailcom> wrote:
>>
>> What you really want to get to is something like:
>> l_hip_ctl = LeftHipFromPreviousStage + <-21*IBP, 0, 0>
>> One hack would be to effectively accumulate the rotations.
>
> well,  not all rotations go up and up, for accumulations to work.

You can accumulate any mix of positive and negative rotations.

>> // Initialise all variables
>> #declare l_hip_ctl = 0;
>
> Did you mean
>  #declare l_hip_ctl = <0,0,0>;
> or is POV-RAY more variable type neutral?

It's not quite neutral, but it does promote floats to vectors if it needs
to.

> I hear you.  It makes perfect sense.  Now let me make an uneducated guess,
> what
> if we played with clock so it does not advance linearly.  Say, I like to
> raise
> my right arm:
>   #declare myClock = a*clock*clock + b*clock + c;
>   r_shoulder_ctl = <180*myClock, 0, 0>

That is the sort of thing, though I've found trigonometrical functions like
the sine function are often more handy than quadratics for smoothing out the
start and end of movements.

> My gosh you got facial expressions, hair, clothing items all added to your
> PovPerson?  I guess with face skeletal animation does not work?  Jaw is
> the
> only movable joint, while there are numerous muscles moving facial organs,
> generating expressions?!

Indeed! Skeletal animation is just the first step. Muscle deformation comes
next. I started work on deforming the upper and lower eyelid meshes as they
opened and closed and had started splitting out the mesh around the mouth to
implement something like the lipsync macro that Rune
(http://runevision.com/3d/anims/) developed. I also have a deformable mesh
for each finger segment, but never got round to integrating my muscular
finger code back into the main deck of POV-Person SDL.

> I hope there is doc with POVPerson, could it be used in research?
> Could it be used in story telling?

There is documentation on the web site. I also have further documentation
for bits I developed since V2. I think there are many things it could be
used for. The SDL and the documentation is licensed to encourage reuse.

Regards,
Chris B.