POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Music selection : Re: Music selection Server Time
12 Oct 2024 01:13:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Music selection
From: Invisible
Date: 6 Feb 2008 09:18:38
Message: <47a9c1be$1@news.povray.org>
scott wrote:
>> Hmm. I wonder how many people there are in the US? Even so, that's A
>> LOT of cars. You buys must be loaded! :-D
>
> In 2004 2.6 million new cars were sold in the UK.  There's 60 million
> people in the UK.

Dude, how do you know all this??

>> I believe my dad had a curtisy car like that one time... Damn weird.
>> It also had a dashboard that looked like the bridge of a starship...!
>
> The prize for that one has to go to the Honda Civic I had a few months
> back. Definitely like controlling a spaceship with it's 2-tier curvy
> dashboard, blue lights everywhere, and big 7-segment digital speedo at
> the top.

Yeah, IIRC this car didn't have a speed dial, just some numbers. In big,
green 1980s style retro LEDs. You know, the big chunky ones...

>> I still can't figure out why they don't make a car that's electric,
>> but has a small deisel generator in the boot...
>>
>> (You'd only need to run it when the battery gets low. You wouldn't
>> waste fuel sitting in traffic. Electric motors don't require a gearbox
>> or a differential, so you'd get continuous acceleration without gear
>> shifts...)
>
> Actually you would need a gearbox for it to be useful.  Electric motors
> generate maximum torque at very slow speeds, the faster the motor goes
> the lower the torque.  This is exactly the wrong thing you need for a
> car, where the faster you go the more torque you need to overcome the
> speed squared air drag.  If you didn't use a gearbox you'd end up with a
> car capable of burning out the tyres at low speed, but that took 10
> minutes to accelerate from 60 to 70 mph.

Mmm, interesting. I was told for example that some large freight train
used electric motors because if they used diesel motors they would need
a gearbox, and it would be impossible to make one strong enough...

> And "small" diesel generator?  What happens if you run out of juice
> while doing 80mph on the motorway?  Stop and wait 45 minutes for it to
> recharge the batteries enough to get you home without being run over by
> trucks?

Well no, the generator cuts in when the batteries get down to 80% or
something, charge them back up to 100%, then stop. [Unless you run out
of fuel. Don't do that! In ANY car...]

>> Do I really give that impression? Interesting... Certainly when
>> everybody tells me I'm an idiot for not knowing who Stallman or So
>> Greats is, I don't *feel* particularly cleaver. :-S
>
> But compared to the average person in the street earning an average
> salary doing an average job, yeh, you seem pretty clever.

Really? Hmm, interesting...

I find it curios that anybody who speaks to me for more than a few
minutes ends up saying "you're very cleaver". And "you need to be more
positive". (Even if I don't say anything negative...)

>> Anyway, I'm hoping to get a better job soon. The problem is going to
>> be that I have no experience as a commercial programmer, and I don't
>> know any of the trendy languages except Java... [And I have to give 3
>> months' notice.]
>
> Don't worry about the 3 months notice, a lot of people have that and
> your new employer will expect it.

Er, actually... when I spoke to the nice lady at the recruitment agency,
she said "three MONTHS?! Jesus Christ!... Why so long?"

> Is there not anything else you would
> like to do apart from being a full-time programmer in some language you
> probably won't even like?

Well, given that I don't have any other useful talents... unless
somebody is going to pay me to surf the net? Oh, wait, that's my current
job...

> Even just applying to be an IT dude for a
> larger company will likely get you more money, or at least the
> opportunity to move on in your career.  And then you might get the
> opportunity to show off some of your programming talent.

I don't like being the support guy. Almost all problems that occur are
beyond my ability to fix, so everybody just hates me... Even when I fix
it, everybody is still pissed that I didn't prevent it from happening in
the first place. :-(

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/