POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : There comes a time... : Re: There comes a time... Server Time
11 Oct 2024 09:20:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: There comes a time...
From: Mike Raiford
Date: 6 Feb 2008 09:15:12
Message: <47a9c0f0$1@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:

> Hmm. I thought that was the design goal of a capacitor?

In the case of the capacitor storing the energy for a flash, flash
discharges are actually rather finely timed. Something to the effect of
1 millisecond for a full-power flash, this discharges the capacitor
quickly, but not instantly. Lower power strobes only allow a partial
discharge at the same rate, which is why recycle time is much quicker
when using a flash at a lower power, because the cap isn't empty.
Shorting a capacitor without a resistor allows high amounts of current
to flow, which can cause an arc across the dielectric, thus destroying
the capacitor. At least that's how I understand it.

In other applications, discharge is much slower, such as when they are
used to smooth ripple current from a DC power supply.