POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : There comes a time... : Re: There comes a time... Server Time
11 Oct 2024 07:15:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: There comes a time...
From: Mike Raiford
Date: 5 Feb 2008 13:12:16
Message: <47a8a700$1@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:

> What, you'd like the CPU to teleport itself into the socket instead? :-D

Remember the days before ZIF sockets? Seat the processor, jam it down
with enough pressure to potentially crack the main board, and hope to
hell you didn't just bend half a dozen pins. Ohh, and there were also
fun memory upgrades, using individual DIP chips crammed into sockets.
And god forbid if you had to remove one... Then there was SIP modules,
with their delicate pins which you had to align precisely or you'd bend
one. SIMMs and DIMMs are a much better improvement, especially with the
lift and snap-in insertion that many have today. The straight down syle
still required some pressure to get them to click in, but removal is a
breeze.

> In the Old Days, if you suddenly plugged or unplugged a device, you
> would likely fry the interface circuitry. Today we use interfaces that
> are expressedly designed to support such actions. That one is purely a
> hardware thing. (Although obviously the software needs to support it too.)

Oh, you still can, today .. see above.  That is the nice thing about USB
is that devices are hot-swappable. Of course, so are devices that hang
off of the serial port, or parallel port. (and they have been for a very
long time ...)