POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Really Cool TV idea : Re: Really Cool TV idea Server Time
10 Oct 2024 21:15:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Really Cool TV idea
From: Chambers
Date: 5 Feb 2008 03:59:42
Message: <47a8257e$1@news.povray.org>
Slime wrote:
>> I was at Best Buy the other day, and saw a TV that ran at 120hz.  It
>> didn't just refresh at that rate, though; it actually created new frames
>> to put in between the others.
>
> Cool. Does it just interpolate the colors, or does it actually try to detect
> motion to make an educated guess about what should appear between two
> frames?
>
>  - Slime

Unfortunately, I don't have any more detailed information.  Remember,
this was a demo in a store.  They weren't trying to educate me, they
were trying to sell me on it.

In fact, the TV had a built-in function to provide the higher refresh to
one side, and play the standard picture on the other, so you could
compare more easily.  But not one bit of information about how the
intermediate frames were generated :(

I would assume a simple color interpolation, although other techniques
are, of course, possible.

--
...Ben Chambers
ben at pacific web guy dot com (no spaces)