POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : What you say? : Re: What you say? Server Time
11 Oct 2024 05:18:41 EDT (-0400)
  Re: What you say?
From: Vincent Le Chevalier
Date: 4 Feb 2008 17:10:24
Message: <47a78d50$1@news.povray.org>
Hildur K. wrote:
> I remember -trying- to read an article, -presumably- about 3D art, translated
> from French to English. The translation kept on repeating that everything was
> -gold-, over and over again. Very confusing. Obviously this was not to be taken
> literally in this context.
>

> expression in French, meaning -great- or -best- maybe? Does this ring a bell
> with any of you fluent French speaking people?

As far as I know it is not any more common in French than in English.
Indeed it has this meaning of "greatest" or "best", for example golden
ratio in English translates as "le nombre d'or" (golden number) in French.

There might be cases that differ between both languages. For instance we
have "un livre d'or", wich translates as "a guestbook" in English. I'm
sure the reverse also exists...

--
Vincent