POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : There comes a time... : Re: There comes a time... Server Time
10 Oct 2024 23:17:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: There comes a time...
From: Invisible
Date: 4 Feb 2008 10:52:02
Message: <47a734a2$1@news.povray.org>
Phil Cook wrote:

> <major snip> I'm not saying things haven't gotten better, just a)
> cmparing the pace compared to software and b) would you expect someone
> who had no problem installing Acme Racing Game II to fit a new
> CPU/Motherboard/Video Card/Memory? 'Open up the case and look at all
> those wires, now just remember don't touch any of them else sharks will
> eat your granny'. You're still opening the case being confronted with a
> PCB and a bunch of wires and cables hanging about it's still more a
> preserve of your geek.

Well... have you opened the bonnet of your car recently? I notice newer
cars have a big sheet of plastic under there, but beyond that it's still
pretty much a case of "if you don't know what a distributor is, you
probably shouldn't touch this - otherwise you might die". At least
computers don't physically kill you if you make a mistake. ;-)

I don't really see how the situation can realistically be improved much.
You could make all the components less fragile by using some sort of
casing, and make it to things slot together more easily, but that's
about it.

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/