POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : There comes a time... : Re: There comes a time... Server Time
10 Oct 2024 23:19:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: There comes a time...
From: Invisible
Date: 4 Feb 2008 09:53:10
Message: <47a726d6@news.povray.org>
Phil Cook wrote:

> In a older thread I pointed out how installing things in terms of
> hardware has barely changed compared to software. Depending on what
> you're doing you're still expected to pop the case, screw/unscrew
> things, fiddle with wires and jumper settings while ensuring you're not
> statically charged and shorting anything out.
>
> Can you imagine if the only way to install anying in Windows was to
> locate the correct installation file, move some of the files over
> manually, and then set the right commands in the registry while at the
> same time ensuring it doesn't mess with any of your other programmes?
>
> I mean sure things have got better superficially. I opened the case by
> hand rather then by screwdriver, and... um yeah that's about the only
> difference I noted.

Dude. Jumpers.

Seriously. Jumpers.

It used to be the case that getting any new bit of hardware to work
involved advanced jumper settings, twiddling dip switches and chanting
over voodoo dolls. Today you can pretty much just plug in a PCI card and
*expect* it to work immediately - or at least as soon as you put the CD
in. No IRQ conflicts, no driver mismatches, IT JUST WORKS!!

Anybody who remembers the old skool ways will tell you just how much of
an improvement that is.

And let's not even get started on all those USB goodies that YOU JUST
PLUG IN AND THEY GO! It wasn't like that before. Had to turn off the
whole PC to connect or disconnect anything...

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/