POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Shapes; oval : Re: Shapes; oval Server Time
28 Jul 2024 18:26:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Shapes; oval
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 4 Feb 2008 04:50:15
Message: <47a6dfd7$1@news.povray.org>
"King George" <kin### [at] seychellessc> schreef in bericht
> Hi
> Im new to POVRAY.
> I want to make an oval shape ( a bit like a rugby ball )
> then mirror it, finishing with translation etc...
> My problem is how do I go about doing the oval first. Any alteration to
> the
> sphere? or is it something completely different?
> Any help will be greatly appreciated. Tutorials?

A warm welcome to the world of POV-Ray!!

Basically, an oval shape is very easy by scaling a sphere:

sphere {
  <0, 1, 0>, 0.5
  scale <1, 1.5, 1>
}

In this example, an oval object oriented along the y-axis is made.

Be aware that transformations in POV-Ray are always done from/at the origin
and in the order scale-rotate-translate. So, if you translate before you
scale or rotate, your object will not be where you expect it to be. Before
all else, read carefully the documentation and do the tutorial examples
provided. It is the best way to start using POV-Ray. And of course, cry for
help when necessary :-)

Thomas