POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Music selection : Re: Music selection Server Time
11 Oct 2024 17:47:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Music selection
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 3 Feb 2008 13:45:02
Message: <47a60bae$1@news.povray.org>
On Sun, 03 Feb 2008 11:18:17 +0000, Stephen wrote:

>>Yep.  As I live next door to a place with (at last count) 3 garage bands
>>(one of the guys is a sound engineer, so he has all manner of "artists"
>>come in), and most of what we hear, well, let's just say that if we
>>called them "three-chord wonders", it'd be an insult to three-cord
>>wonders the world over.  One of the percussionists can't keep a steady
>>beat, even.
>
> Arrg! Do you need help moving? I think that being on one of the feeder
> routes for the Notting Hill Carnival is enough to make me leave the city
> for that weekend :) Not that I don't like Reggie (Bob Marley excluded)
> and Soca but it's all that electric stuff :(

Well, we've been here for 7 years now, as have they.  But the owner of
the house passed away in August and I understand his wife wants to sell
the property; as the bands are all renters, we can but hope.  There is a
joke going around the neighborhood (I know, I started it) suggesting that
the neighborhood pool their money and buy it, level the house, and make a
park out of it. :-)

>>Personally, I'm a classical fan - mostly Romantic period, though I like
>>a fair amount of Baroque music as well.
>
> The other way round for me, Baroque to Romantic. My wife likes Classical
> to modern, there is a fair overlap.

I used to surprise people by being very picky about the music I'd listen
to, but then I'd throw in some Queen or Eagles, just to throw them (well
not *just* to throw them, I happen to like those two bands as well).  Or
Satriani.

>>I haven't seen the play myself; there is a recorded orchestral version
>>I've heard that has lyrics in German that I really like.  I may have to
>>dig that up now, in fact...Most of the recordings are just orchestral.
>>
> The play is a fantasy with music. It reminds me a bit of "The rakes
> progress" and the "Tales of Hoffman", not musically of course :) I say
> it at the RNT in about 2000.

That makes sense; I'll have to keep my eyes open for it showing up here.

> To hear it is to remember it :) There should be a mp3 on the internet
> and I think that Mozart would only recognise the idea :)

LOL

> Young man you too girlie girlie
> you just a flash it round the worldie.
>
> Him have one up here
> one down there
> One in Hanover
> one down a vere.
> One she's a lawyer
> one she's a doctor
>
> It goes on a bit :)

Looks like it could be, uh, interesting. ;-)

> And since the world and his wife are doing it:
>
> Listening to Mozart Variations on the piano by someone.

Right now not listening to music from Fellowship of the Ring.  (Good
modern film scores are something I really like, too).

Jim