POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Interference in media : Re: Interference in media Server Time
5 Jul 2024 16:16:41 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Interference in media
From: Slime
Date: 3 Feb 2008 01:58:41
Message: <47a56621$1@news.povray.org>
> yes, I've had that problem as well, with two clouds contained in two
> spheres.  I was hoping to get the clouds shapes merged as well:  the
> coinciding surfaces is very visible.  If anyone knows how to solve this...

If you're not taking enough media samples, you get incorrect results, but
sometimes it looks good enough that you don't know or worry about it.
Unfortunately, when you intersect another transparent object with the media,
you get *different* incorrect results depending on whether the ray passes
through the second object or not. You can tell if this is the problem by
seeing if it goes away when you raise the samples a lot ("samples 1000").
Sometimes you can find an ideal number of samples that looks good and
renders fast enough... sometimes you can't.

 - Slime
 [ http://www.slimeland.com/ ]