POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Interference in media : Re: Interference in media Server Time
5 Jul 2024 15:14:43 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Interference in media
From: Tim Nikias
Date: 2 Feb 2008 18:04:05
Message: <47a4f6e5$1@news.povray.org>
Timothy Groves wrote:
> I've been trying to generate a warp-field type effect, and whenever the
> two spheres containing the media intersect, unpleasant things happen.
>
> I've tried both a union and a merge of the two spheres, but the results
> are the same.  And equally poor either way.

Have you tried raising the max_trace_level in the global settings?
That's sometimes a cause for such problems.

Another is the media-type you're using. I've found method 2 to be more
time-consuming renderwise, because *you* set it up and that's the way
it'll be rendered for every pixel that contains the media, whereas
method 3 might go easier on the calculations if the samples allow it.

And finally: take one big object and put both medias inside, that might
work better as well, but render slower, because there's more volume to
check for media.

Regards,
Tim