POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : What you say? : Re: What you say? Server Time
11 Oct 2024 09:19:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: What you say?
From: Darren New
Date: 2 Feb 2008 13:28:15
Message: <47a4b63f$1@news.povray.org>
Orchid XP v7 wrote:
> Darren New wrote:
>
>> Same with Mandarin. I learned to say "My aunt scolded my mother's
>> horse". It's "ma ma ma ma".
>
> Is that why it's called "mandarin"? ;-)

No. (Yes, I know it's a joke.)  "Da" is big. "Ren" (or "rin") is man.
"Man" is an area of china. So "mandarin" is the "important (big) people
from the Man area".

I always amuse my wife when we go in a chinese restaurant and I write
"big man" (Da-ren) on the waiting list. Of course, it's the only version
of the characters pronounced that way that's simple enough for me to
remember how to "spell".

--
   Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
     On what day did God create the body thetans?