POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : image spherical projection and postscript. : Re: image spherical projection and postscript. Server Time
28 Jul 2024 18:12:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: image spherical projection and postscript.
From: Chris B
Date: 2 Feb 2008 07:19:50
Message: <47a45fe6$1@news.povray.org>
"zeycus" <mig### [at] onocom> wrote in message
> Hi everybody,
>
> I have a bitmap I want to project onto the surface of a sphere. I want to
> use
> spherical projection, so that the image is not distorted. The problem is
> that I
> want to control the angle covered (measured from the center of the
> sphere). One
> solution would be to increase the bitmap size with nothing around, but
> that is
> ugly. What is the correct way to do this?

Hi,

Use the 'once' keyword and scale in 'x'  to get a segment (or scale in 'y'
and translate in 'y' to get a ring around the middle of the sphere).

light_source { <-15,7.5,-15>, rgb 2}
camera {location <0,3,0> look_at <0,0,0>}

sphere {0,1
  texture {
    pigment {
      image_map {sys "ngtest11.bmp" once}
      scale 0.6*x
      rotate x*90
      warp {spherical
        orientation y
        dist_exp 1
      }
    }
  }
}

> Another question: I am using a bitmap obtained from a postscript file I
> have,
> because I did not find the way to use the PS directly. Is it possible?

No. The valid bitmap types are "gif | tga | iff | ppm | pgm | png | jpeg |
tiff | sys".
No vector graphics formats are supported.

Regards,
Chris B.