POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Music selection : Re: Music selection Server Time
11 Oct 2024 15:18:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Music selection
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 1 Feb 2008 19:28:32
Message: <47a3b930$1@news.povray.org>
On Fri, 01 Feb 2008 22:27:22 +0000, Stephen wrote:

> On 1 Feb 2008 15:14:57 -0500, Jim Henderson <nos### [at] nospamcom> wrote:
>
>>On Fri, 01 Feb 2008 19:40:01 +0000, Stephen wrote:
>>
>>>  I quite like some classical pieces done by Heavy/Rock bands.
>>
>>I've heard a few like that, and I also quite like them.  It's always fun
>>to see musicians (regardless of genre) who have *real* talent.
>
> Agreed, be it rock, classical, folk or especially world music.

Yep.  As I live next door to a place with (at last count) 3 garage bands
(one of the guys is a sound engineer, so he has all manner of "artists"
come in), and most of what we hear, well, let's just say that if we
called them "three-chord wonders", it'd be an insult to three-cord
wonders the world over.  One of the percussionists can't keep a steady
beat, even.

Personally, I'm a classical fan - mostly Romantic period, though I like a
fair amount of Baroque music as well.

Right now, I'm listening to the 1812 Overture.  I think it's the Telarc
Digital recording (but I could be wrong, I've got a couple recordings of
it).

>>> Who recorded "In the hall of the mountain King"?
>>
>>You mean the original?  Originally, it was part of the Peer Gynt suite
>>done by Edward Grieg.
>
> LOL :)
> I tried to google it to no avail. I think that I remember hearing it on
> Alan Freeman's "Rock Show" BBC radio programme in the 70's. But it was
> the 70's and it could have been anything :)
> I heard a good version at the National Theatre (now the RNT) years ago,
> in the play. One of the few Ibsen's I like.

I haven't seen the play myself; there is a recorded orchestral version
I've heard that has lyrics in German that I really like.  I may have to
dig that up now, in fact...Most of the recordings are just orchestral.

>>> I can only imagine what
>>> the "Flight of the Bumblebee" sounds like.
>>
>>Incredible is the only way to describe it.
>
> Understood!

Have you ever listened to Joe Satriani?  The album _Surfing with the
Alien_ is particularly good - I like "Midnight" from that album - some
outstanding technical guitar playing in that track.

>>There's lyrics, too, which I
>>didn't think I'd like, but it's very well done.
>>
> The mind boggles :)
> Which reminds me of the catalogue aria from Don Giovanni. Have you heard
> Girlie Girlie by Sophia George 1986?

I haven't - sounds like it might be interesting, though.  Mozart is an
interesting composer - I especially like the Symphony k16a, at least
about the first 30 bars of the first movement.  I get an image of people
running through a forest (like a chase).

Jim