POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Game opinions : Re: Game opinions Server Time
10 Oct 2024 23:17:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Game opinions
From: Warp
Date: 1 Feb 2008 09:20:22
Message: <47a32aa5@news.povray.org>
Invisible <voi### [at] devnull> wrote:
> BTW, I'm a little confused here. Benny seems to think that DirectX 10 is
> available for WinXP, while I was under the impression that it's for
> Vista only. [Part of of the M$ plan to force everybody to upgrade.]

  DirectX 10 is Vista only because it's a complete rewrite of the entire
system and depends on the complete rewrite of certain parts of the OS
they did for Vista. It just can't work in XP because XP doesn't have
the architecture necessary to run DX10.

> However, Wikipedia at least seems to suggest that Crysis works on XP,
> despite using DirectX 10... so... er... wuh?

  Crysis *can* use DX10, but it can also be run on DX9, without the
DX10-specific features (although, as has been demonstrated, many of
the alleged "DX10-specific" features used by the game are actually
supported by DX9 after all).

--
                                                          - Warp