POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Game opinions : Re: Game opinions Server Time
10 Oct 2024 23:21:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Game opinions
From: St
Date: 1 Feb 2008 08:31:34
Message: <47a31f36$1@news.povray.org>
news:47a31a72@news.povray.org...
>>> http://www.bash.org/?835178   So it's true then?
>>
>>      Yes, but only if you try to run it on medium to high settings on a
>> mid spec machine (like mine), It'll drag then, but on low settings it's
>> fine, and looks pretty good too.
>>
>>       FarCry, Crysis - great games!  :)
>
> I only have a lowly 2.2 GHz dual-core AMD Athlon X2 4200+ with 3 GB
> DDR-400 RAM and an nVidia GeForce 7900GTX 512 MB. It'll probably not run
> at all...

   I wish I had that! :( It'll probably run fine on high with those specs,
and if it doesn't, medium settings will probably get you 35-45 FPS, which is
damn fast.

    Here's my system:

    XP Home SP2
     AMD Sempron Processor 2800+
     nVidia 6600 GT
     1 Gig RAM

      I've been playing Crysis this morning, it really is good.  :)

> BTW, I'm a little confused here. Benny seems to think that DirectX 10 is
> available for WinXP, while I was under the impression that it's for Vista
> only. [Part of of the M$ plan to force everybody to upgrade.] However,
> Wikipedia at least seems to suggest that Crysis works on XP, despite using
> DirectX 10... so... er... wuh?

    No, DX10 isn't available for XP. What happened was one guy managed to
simply edit a config file so that XP DX9 gives the same 'very high' settings
as DX10. I tried it. Now, that nearly killed my machine! Easy enough to swap
back though, which I did.

    If you get Crysis, and want to tweak the config file yourself, here it
is:

http://www.crymod.com/thread.php?threadid=16487&threadview=0&hilight=+hp+&hilightuser=0&page=1

     ~Steve~