POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Haskell goodies : Re: Haskell goodies Server Time
11 Oct 2024 07:12:40 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Haskell goodies
From: Mueen Nawaz
Date: 1 Feb 2008 01:14:19
Message: <47a2b8bb$1@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:
>>     Cheap way: Read the news (while trying to gain the skill of what news
>> to read and what not to).
>
> I never do this. The news is far too damn depressing.

	And why is that?

	It's really not any worse than in the past. As long as you realize that
a lot of news will focus on the negative, when it's not representative
of the reality, it shouldn't depress you too much. For every bad news,
there's good stuff going on - you just don't hear about it.

	Which is all part of the "skill".

	Anyway, if it's too depressing, there are other ways to know about
other countries/cultures. I'll hesitantly suggest Global Voices
(hesitantly as I've read some of the blog selections from certain
countries and some of them are downright unrepresentative of their
cultures): http://www.globalvoicesonline.org/

	Another option is look around in the city you live in. There may be
cheap/free resources for learning about foreign cultures. Here in the
US, in universities, there are many student organizations representing
various countries, and very often a few among those are "general" ones
for international students - they're very often welcoming of non-student
locals...

>>     Expensive way: Travel.
>
> I never did understand how travel is supposed to teach you anything.
> (Other than how to feel lost and afraid - which I already know how to do.)

	Well, I guess I meant something a bit more extensive than, say, tourist
type travel. Spending time elsewhere due to work (month, year, etc)
would be a good example - you'll have to deal with a lot of local
factors that tourists wouldn't.

	Seriously, though. Over here at least, there are a LOT of groups trying
to be very vocal on a lot of issues regarding other countries (a number
of them being somewhat kooky). Maybe your town doesn't have as much, but
I'm sure you'll find some if you actually looked. Do they have bulletin
boards in stores, etc where you live? They often post these things
there. Or find a community center and look at their schedule, and see
who's reserved the place for what.

--
"A man doesn't know what happiness is until he's married. By then it's
too late." - Frank Sinatra

                   /  \/  \ u e e n     /  \/  a w a z
                                   anl