POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : general technique? : Re: general technique? Server Time
28 Jul 2024 18:12:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: general technique?
From: Alain
Date: 31 Jan 2008 15:51:13
Message: <47a234c1@news.povray.org>
H@@kon nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 2008/01/31 13:48:
> Hello!
>
> Just discovered Pov Ray and totally amazed of what people make.
> Could someone explain to me this:
>
> The most breathtaking pictures are using a lof of hours rendering, some a whole
> day.
>
> how do you make these pictures?
>
> do you code a lot before you render (and you visually know the result of your
> coding) OR is there a preview function with a lot of testing?
>
> I thought at first there was a lot of testing, but if a render takes 5-6 hours
> then you really should "know" when to test...
>

> Sorry if this is a very stupid question, but really nags me...
> And appreciate every answer...

Usualy, a simple scene renders quickly in a mater of seconds to minutes. Those
are the ones you create when you are still new to ray tracing. Few objects,
simple textures, less than 5 lights, and no advanced features.

The scenes that take many hours or days are "advanced" scenes. They may contain
1000's of objects, or use media, have several reflective or transparent objects,
several high quality area lights, very complex objects and textures, blured
reflections and transparance, radiosity, isosurfaces, parametrics, and more...

You will start with some simple scenes. Progressively, you'll explore the more
advances features and, eventualy, may come up with a scene of your own that get
rendered in a week... or maybe even more.

Just start running trough the tutorials, typing the examples, and running them.
Experiment with them by changing one item at the time, and do a render to see
the effect of your change. Then, read the rest of the documentations at least
once. Whenever you are unsure about some keyword, press the "F1" key to jump to
the help about the one the curson is on. (windows version)
Now, load and render the various sample scenes. If you want to change them,
start by saving them under a new name so that you can easily compare the
originals and your altered versions.

All the .POV, .INC and .INI files are human readable and can be opened as an
ordinary text file.

--
Alain
If you can’t get your work done in the first 24 hr’s, work nights.